Thread: spare tire.
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 12:07 AM   #12
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I've waded into this discussion before representing a seasonal RVers view as opposed to full timers. I'm with sambam ... having a high dollar tire hanging in back that may never see the road just makes no sense to me. Larry has an option in using the spare during a tire rotation on the RV ... I honestly don't know many if any people that rotate their fiver tires ... most spares are steel wheels not aluminum to further diss the rotation option. I look at a spare as just that ... a "spare" not a long term swap ... about any car or truck spare now days is somewhat lesser in either tire and/or wheel. Why should the fiver spare be looked at any different?
Agree completely. Your rig would look strange with one white wheel on it for certain. On the other hand, keeping the spare to be a useable one means changing it out every five years. Don't need to put a new tire on, a decent used LT will work fine as a spare and they cost under $100 for good insurance. Just be sure to check the born-on date.