View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 02:56 AM   #10
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Traiblazer - yes and no. How's that for a non-answer?

We lived in Anchorage and camped/RV'd in Alaska for 8 years (94-02) in a tent, a pop-up, and a 27' TT for all 8 of those years (mostly in the TT) During that time, we covered essentially all of the road system in Alaska (Homer, Seward, Fairbanks, Valdez, and all points in between)

Can you tow a bigger rig? Absolutely yes. Thousands do it every summer. Will you travel on some of the worst roads ever? Yes. My experience has shown that my trailers in AK took a much worse beating than down here, mainly due to all of the unpaved road sections during "construction season". Many rock chips and multiple flats over the years. Frost heaves to me were a non-issue. Just slow down and enjoy the scenery. They can be bad, but to me I-95 through SC is far worse! Short answer - the roads should not stop you from taking your Montana, but I'd recommend protecting the front lower side by covering it (I used a removable naugahyde (sp?) cover that snapped on) or large mud/rock flaps or brushes on the back of the TV.

To me the real issue is what birdie said. There are plenty of places a big RV can fit into, but not nearly the number or selection that something in the mid-20 foot range can fit into. Our favorite places were US Forest Service campgrounds. No electric, no sewage, no running water, just incredible beauty and lots to do. The number of sites that would accommodate a large RV were few and far between. But I believe you can make reservations at these campgrounds, so if you do take the big rig and plan to stay at the gov't campgrounds (which I highly recommend for anyone), plan ahead and reserve a site that sounds like it will fit you in. Plan on boondocking for sure. Generators are allowed most places.

Bottom line - if it was me, I'd take my own rig, but be prepared for a few "bumps and bruises" on it and DEFINITELY plan ahead if you want to do more than stay in parking lot-type places. I think those who stay on the beaten path miss the trip of a lifetime. The Milepost (a current edition) is the best money you will spend. Even as "locals" we bought it every year.

Good luck and enjoy!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote