View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 04:48 AM   #13
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by psomers
Never heard that. I have a 2008 that has original batteries that will need replacing soon. Could you direct me to that caution? I guess pickups with OnStar would be affected.
Hi

On our 2009 Silverado 3500 Duramax you have to let the truck sit for 45 minutes without opening a door or doing anything that will make the computers think you are preparing, or have operated the vehicle in the last 45 minutes. The 45 minutes maybe a little more than the book says but close enough.

A second procedure is to open the driver’s door and leave it open while you disconnect the batteries. I would recommend opening the door again before installing the batteries.

There are also instructions to disconnect the battery or provide some support for the batteries if the vehicle is to be stored more than 30 days.

For the Silverado there is instruction not to leave anything plugged into the auxiliary power plugs when the truck is parked for more than 24 hours. This causes the main computer to see what it thinks is an electrical system fault and it brings the other 4 computers on line periodically to check the system for some kind of fault. This will kill your batteries in 3 days; ask me how I know LOL

As for the location of these instructions I am not sure of because I purchase the repair manuals for the truck when it was new, they are 7 volumes and very extensive.

I am reasonable sure the caution about long term storage is in the owner’s manual.

I just purchased a new Malibu a few months ago and haven’t even looked at the owner’s manual yet.

I found out about all of this because after the dealer spent $700 of mine trying to get the OnStar working I sat down and read the manuals and by following the testing procedures in them found one battery with a bad cell was causing the OnStar problem and the AM radio problem.

Here is a link to a NAPA battery charger I have been using for many years. It will not over charge your batteries and works very well.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...315_0006389653

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote