View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #43
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockDr View Post
Looking for a Keystone 5th wheel to full time in. I have a GMC 2500hd diesel that the tow rating is 15,200 lbs. I want to use this truck as my tow vehicle. Looking for something 35 feet or longer that my truck can safely pull. Would prefer a Montana but don’t think my truck is big enough. I’ve looked at some High Countrys but am wondering if the quality is good and would hold up to full timing. Just wife and I. No pets. Appreciate some feedback please. Doesn’t have to be new but no older than 2016.
I have to go back to the original post to remind everyone that the OP says they are going full time.

As suggested by DQDick, I think you have the cart in front of the horse! Decide what camper you want first! Then buy a TV to match.

Your about to full time and the camper quality matters! You WILL regret buying a lesser quality camper if your using it every day as your primary residence. Not only will the maintence be less but it will be easier to heat and cool a well built and insulated unit. It is one thing to weekend camp with a trailer that isn't heated or cooled well, it is totally something else when your full timing and the unit isn't particularly well insulated!! Your not going to have the option to go home to a sticks and bricks if it's too hot or cold to suit you in the RV!

As for the TV, at a minimum you need a vehicle that you know for certain is safe. Nothing worse than wondering if you have enough STOPPING power when you go down that first mountain pass!!! Just about anything can get those wheels turning, its the safe controlled stopping power that really matters. IF your overloaded then stopping will likely be an issue. Are there folks that tow overloaded, yep every day for thousands of miles BUT the statistics say they are just lucky. Besides, its just common sense that a truck that is not maxed out WILL last longer.

I understand that not everyone has the money to do it but there is little doubt that having two vehicles (one for towing and a lighter daily driver) is the best of both worlds. Most especially if you are staying several months in any given location and don't like to drive the larger vehicle to town and such. In the long run you might even save money as the majority of the wear and tear will be on a lighter and cheaper vehicle saving the expensive TV for just what it is designed for. Besides just about everyone ends up buying a larger camper not far down the road. Might as well get the big daddy TV up front so you ready for the next one!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote