View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
More than 20 years ago a car pulled out in front of us and I had to slam on the brakes with our first travel trailer in tow. I was towing with a Chevy Suburban 1500. The trailer brakes never did have much much grab, I didn't understand how "gain" worked back then. So basically, the tow vehicle did most of the braking.

When that car jumped out in front of us from a side road, I slammed on the brakes. The tow vehicle tires locked up, but the trailer kept pushing it. Tires squealing, and almost hitting that car in front, who now was gaining a little speed. Otherwise it would have been a rear end hit for sure.

Lesson learned from that point onward to leave as much distance as possible between me and the person ahead. That is the reason I drive at 60 mph on interstates. Absolutely everything zooms by and passes me, leaving me in their wind. On secondary roads, I triple my normal distance than when driving not towing. It bugs the hell out of vehicles behind me for leaving that kind of a distance, but I'm running the same speed as they are, I'm just leaving distance. It's amazing how many will attempt to pass on double yellow lines, between the "stop ahead" sign and the actual stop sign or light, keep drifting lift to see if they can pass or not on hills clearly marked no passing.

The bottom line is, it's about safety! Mine! Those driving the family sedan just don't understand the distance it takes to stop a train with a 6000 pound truck and a 12,000 pound trailer in tow. So yes, I continue to keep my distance, even when other RVers are zooming by or behind me.

I never follow anyone for the sake of following them. Again, I'll slow down a bit to create a greater distance than what looks normal, because when towing a train, nothing is normal.

FYI, my Montana High Country Fifth wheel brakes will lock up and skid when when I'm running 30 mph and my gain is set at 10. I think I've got a much better braking system now than that first trailer more than 20 years ago.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote