View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Ford 6.7L owners beware of plastic CAC pipe!

This has had happened to a friend of mine just outside of Buffalo in rush hour traffic, so I bought a spare tube and was prepared. The CAC (charge air cooler) pipe on our trucks is plastic. Over time with many engine heat cycles, it makes the coupling at the throttle body, start to degrade, and the pipe will rupture under high boost situations. It happened to me 3 weeks ago while pulling the 5er up 1-85 in Friday afternoon traffic. There was a loud pop and the truck quit pulling as it had lost all boost pressure. Immediately I knew what it was. Since I had bought a spare pipe from my dealer(around $110) I knew I would be fine. I got the truck to an exit ramp and began to change the pipe. It takes a deep well 7/16" socket, 10" extension, ratchet and a small screwdriver to make the repair. This is where it blows apart.

There is a large C-spring holding the pipe to the throttle body, take your screwdriver and lift it out and the engine side will come off. Then take socket setup and undo the spring clamp on the CAC down beside the driver's side battery. The pipe will then move. Then take the air intake temperature sensor loose from the back of the tube by pushing on the tab and pull. The pipe is now free. To re-install, push the engine side of the pipe onto the throttle body after wiping the throttle body off of access oil. Then connect the temp sensor and put the CAC end on the cooler and tighten. Honestly takes 5-10 minutes and you are back on your way.(IF YOU HAVE A SPARE!)
This happened on my truck at 22,000 miles!! My friend's at 41,000. There are several others that have done the same thing on other RV forums that did not know about the roadside repair!! It can be done and is worth the peace of mind to me.
But I did research on this and found that H&S Motorsports and AFE have rolled steel replacement pipes with CAC boots instead of being plastic. The H&S is $349 and the AFE is $295. I bought the H&S and installed it yesterday. Straight forward directions on the net are available. Took a little over on hour to install, but NO MORE PLASTIC TOP OF THE ENGINE! Here is what the stock pipe looks like out of the vehicle.

This is the pipe from H&S in the kit and then installed.

This should alleviate this problem for good! The 6.7L only boosts to around 25psi at maximum boost so this setup should never fail unless the boots rot.
Sorry for the long post, but wanted to share my experience and the very quick roadside repair if you are prepared. Also the optional permanent fix as well.

Great information but the photo's are too large, please resize them to MOC standards.

Maybe now?