Thread: tow vehicle
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #39
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by navybanker

Someone please tell me why a 3/4 ton would bog down in mountains and a 1 ton would not pulling the same weight. I assume this is going up the mountain. I understand the weight ratings and such but this comment is confusing. Please enlighten me!
Navy Banker. The bogging down in the mountains is not the issue. The issue is what did the maker of the vehicle rate that vehicle for.

A 2002 F250 and a F450 have the same engine and transmission. However the brakes, rear axle, suspension, tire size are different.

For a owner to say a truck will tow it, or haul it, Yes that is probably correct.. But the Factory rated the vehicle on a lot of components and even while it will "tow it" that does not make it right/legal, depending on which side of the fence you are on.

Those of us that have been doing this for 20+ years, will be doing it with a TV that is "legal" All Axle weights are in limits, the GVWR is within the manufactures specs, and the being 140lbs under legal limits will just not be good enough.

OK, now lets look at SRW vs DRW. Some SRW are only available in 3.55 or lower while a DRW is a 3.73 or 4.10. That in it's self should tell you that a SRW is just not geared to tow a heavier load.

I have seen guys towing way beyond the trucks capacity, but I opt on the side of caution and my TV fiting my towed weight.

Hope this helps. Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote