Thread: tow vehicle
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #33
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
When we bought our trailer we did a lot of research and determined that our truck would safely tow it. We have taken it to the scales three times and are within the ratings of the truck. After reading this thread and others on tow vehicle ratings I did some research on design safety factors that are used for the frame and axles. From what I have been able to find the material strength is 3 times the forces applied. Would I want to test my truck at three times the rating of the axles and frame ratings I don't think so. But this gives you an idea why some people have reported that they have been able to load these truck way beyond the ratings with out any apparent issues. I would have to wonder what the long term effects would be to frame and axles if continually overloaded at 2x and I am not going to find out.

Like others have pointed out do your own research and determine what your comfort level is. Once you have the trailer go weight it a scale and determine the weights and compare to the ratings. I know it helped us fell more comfortable with the truck and trailer we have.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote