Thread: tow vehicle
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The topic of what tow vehicle is right for a particular RV has been debated over and over and will continue to be debated.

One must keep in mind the considerable variety of owners getting into the RV lifestyle, some have none or minimal experience driving a truck period, let alone a one ton dually. That can be intimidating and will be somewhat of an issue even for those who are familiar with driving a SRW truck compared to a dually as an everyday vehicle. I have driven a dually for so long in my rental business and the last 12 years hauling my RV I am quite comfortable with it and will parallel park in any spot a SRW can park in.

You must also keep in mind whether the SRW meets the GVWR rating required for the particular RV you are towing. In some cases it will, in others it will not, in the latter case you should invest in a DRW.

Anyone who doubts the additional stability of a dually over a SRW only needs to haul a camper to appreciate the difference, while it is a different load than a 5er there is no question in my mind they are more stable.

I would never want a short box, SRW TV simply because I want the added length in the box for my big storage box, containing my 3000W generator and still have room behind my hitch for a spare tire, but that is not what everyone wants.

IMHO, If you are not comfortable driving a dually, and yet that is what is required to meet the GVWR you need for a specific RV and load, then you might want to consider a smaller RV. Your decision should be based firstly on the capacity of the truck and secondly whether you will use it extensively for other uses.

My opinion carries no more weight than does anyone else, it is just my opinion.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote