richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:
Originally posted by Irlpguy

....I do not know personally anyone who has experienced a problem with U-bolts loosening up to the extent something failed and it certainly has not happened to me...
Calling richfaa, calling richfaa, message for richfaa

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35136&SearchTerms=spring,bolt
Actually that was a centering bolt which holds the spring stack together. I don't think it was ever determined that it had anything to do with the U-bolts themselves.

Regardless, it pays to at least check the torque on the U-bolts now that we have all been made aware of a possible issue.
Once they are torqued to the proper spec we should not have to worry about them again. Same goes for our lug nuts. I had all new tires put on and although they were torqued to 120 lbs by the dealer when the tires were installed, and I was told to bring the unit back and have them rechecked after I had 100 miles or so on them, I will check them after about 100 miles and I won't likely concern myself with them again unless I have to remove a wheel.

I am not recommending anyone do as I do, just saying.

It is true that it could not be determined without a doubt what caused the center pin to shear. The best was "outside forces" The other U bolts were loose.

There as a consensus among those who looked at it that the most probable cause was the U bolts. We had never checked the torque on any U bolts so we took the hit on probable blame.

the IS suspension solved the problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote