View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
I took the carpet out of my rig in the kitchen/living area and replaced it with laminate. It was worth every second of labor. Cost was just at 200.00 and that included upgraded padding under the laminate. The only thing to be real careful about is to be sure that there are no staples sticking out on the bottom of the slide outs. I finished the job and put the slides in and heard a nasty scratching sound. YUP you guessed it a big scratch in my new floor. The neat thing about laminate is that I was able to pop the damaged piece out and replaced it in about 30 minutes. The whole job from tearing out the old carpet and pulling up the old vinyl and installing the new flooring was just at 9 hours. Just pulling the old carpet staples was about 90 minutes of the job. I have pics and someone else sent me detailed instructions if anyone wants them. I will try to post the pics here in the next couple of days if anyone wants them. The best advise I can give is to be sure to go to a good flooring store and buy the upgraded laminate pad. The stuff HomeDepot and Lowes sells is garbage. The laminate I used is HomeDepot's cheap stuff called Tacoma Oak and it is .99 per sq ft. 20.00 bucks a box and matches the cabinets great. It is actually quieter with than the carpet and is wearing well. I left my slides with carpet to make the job easy.