View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
For what's its worth from experience (so my facts) in 5yrs I never took apart the wheels, drums off the axles and accessed bearings. Thousands of miles on the bearings, what I did do was once a year in the spring pump about 3 shots of grease into the ez lube. The same system I've used on my large landscape trailer for 20yrs, with no issues. These are not boat trailers and don't get dunked into the water regularly where they pick up moisture and fines of sand etc. Never have I had an issue. Recent changes in our MTO licensing requirements for large landscape trailers etc is the requirement for a yearly safety check which requires a certified shop to pull the wheels and check the brakes on it. For the past 3yrs they've done that, they indicated the first time that the bearings were in good working order for the years of use as described above without any repacking. My Opinion now is people waste alot of money repacking bearings yearly, you don't do it on your cars & trucks so why are you doing it on a trailer that gets much less use ???
Pretty much the same thing I said. I suppose people are just doing it for peace of mind but to me it's a complete waste of money and time.

If you're old enough think back to the days when your car needed a front brake job that had repacking wheel bearings the only time you repack them is when you put new pads on maybe 30-40 thousand miles
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote