View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #56
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I used to be the hot rod driver when I was a youngster. BUT with maturity I started to realize the consequences of driving like a fool! My basic philosophy now while towing a 5th wheel that is over 40' long is I should drive like a good professional truck driver. I go with the FLOW of traffic and use lanes properly. I don't worry about the speed limit (within reason of course), instead I get in a convoy of trucks and keep some space between me and the guy in front. I'm not the guy running 80 and weaving in and out of traffic but I'm also not the guy running 60 in the fast/passing lane either both are just as foolish!! Not to mention the folks that cut you off! Just because you are driving below the speed limit doesn't by itself make you a good driver nor does it give you the right to impede other traffic!!!!!!

I'm an Arkansas native but will say LEARN TO DRIVE LIKE A TEXAN. "Lead, follow or get the heck out of the way"!! And like I always say when kayaking "go with the flow"!

But to add a bit of good ole common sense, I also adjust my speed as necessary based on the driving conditions. Obviously, it is wise to cut the speed back in a metro area when towing heavy (because you know there are a lot of folks making bad choices) and if the road is particularly rough (like say some of the interstates around Memphis) I'm going to slow down and say a little prayer for the stuff in my camper bouncing around.

Long and short of it is that if you want to get there in a hurry, you shouldn't have a 5th wheel hooked up to your truck! Your not driving a Corvette and having to adjust your driving because of that fact is simply the price you pay to pursue an RV lifestyle. Oh and that is sort of the reason you should at least consider a dually if your towing super heavy......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys