View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #48
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2010 View Post
Having pulled our Montana with both a SRW and now a DRW truck, I agree with other experienced RVers. DRW may not be a necessity for all but it is much more stable and predictable. Those who have done it for a while generally opt for the safer, more stable ride. As I see it, it is like the speed you pull at. Almost always when we are at 62-64 mph on the Interstate and are being passed by RVers in the 70+ range, we know there goes a newby. Once they see the reduced fuel mileage and the damage to their rig both inside and out, they generally slow down.
Going to have to disagree with you on towing speed and fuel mileage. Most efficient mpg will be realized when your TV is operating in its optimum torque range. Depending on your engine, transmission, and axle ratio different trucks will be more efficient at different speeds. In my case -05 F250 6.0 with auto trans and 3:73 gears pulling 2015 3100 RL - I find that my truck gets the same mpg and seems less stressed at 68 to 72mph vs. 62 to 65mph. Everyone should find what works for them and not worry about what others are doing as long as it's safe.