Thread: GPS Devices
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I Just might be a Garmin fan: I have a Nuvi 1450, Nuvi 765 with traffic alert, GPS Map276C (for my quad & APRS), GPS 60CSX, GPS 62s and one most of you will never have even heard of let along seen and that is a very old GPS II Plus, my first ever GPS bought for me by my DW.

The II plus runs 24/7 - 365 days a year and has done so for 5 years in it's current useage. I use it as part of a puzzle to find a geocache.

Besides being used on my Quad, when hauling the Monty the GPS Map276C is used to tell friends and family where I am using APRS - http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FVE7HD&time...3600&tail=3600

Traveling from the West coast of Canada through Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Montana and Idaho I have never had a problem with my Nuvi. They all use the same maps but I prefer the little 765 since it has traffic alert.

I use MapSource to program in waypoints that I want to be alerted to along our route and since I also Geocache I program those in as well.

Routing and being directed from one place to another has less to do with the make of the unit, than it does with the mapping and how much information it has and how up to date it is.

I also use Topo USA and Topo Canada when out in the wilds. Roads that once existed may not be there anymore, or are overgrown and not recognizable. There are also hundreds of trails and roads that are not shown, making it confusing for those who are inexperienced.

We should make ourselves very familiar with whatever unit we own, a tragic example of not doing so happened in Utah a couple of years ago. Common sense, must always prevail as no GPS will be correct all the time, and in fact can put you in danger. No one should follow a GPS in the back country that does not also have some orienteering skills.

One day I might try a Magellan or ?
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote