View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I’m going to let the 2 pics below speak for me…

Theses pics were taken in Vermont just a year ago after we backed into our campsite. Why did I continue backing? I had gotten to a point of no return and according to the forecast things were supposed to be dry for the next few days. Well I guess Mother Nature had different plans as the night before we pulled out it poured and matters got even worse. When hooking up I had sank nearly 4 inches into the mud. The pics above were from backing into the site with much drier conditions. If I hadn’t had 4 wheel drive it would have cost me dearly to get a tow truck out to pull me out of this mess.
I also required 4WD in a campground in northern New York where the grass was wet from a heavy dew. In a Florida campground where the shoulders of the driveway were very sandy. Making the typical wide swing on the way out I got into this sand and again 4WD pulled me through. In a Virginia KOA at the foot of a mountain I needed 4WD just to back a bit upgrade into the campsite.
You can also forget the extra weight of the 5er on the rear axle. When you get in the soft wet stuff more often than not you’ll wished you had a 4X4.
Having the Low Range that comes with a 4X4 is also a giant plus factor. Backing that Monty up the slightest upgrade is 100% easier when you drop the 4X4 into 4 Low. You can back at nearly an idle speed taking a lot of pressure AND HEAT off the tranny.
I could site other examples but I think you are getting the idea. For me, there is no way that I would not have a 4X4. Forget the extra weight, it’s negligible in comparison to the total package. Forget the ride comfort. I have ridden in 2X4s and 1 ton duallies that rode harsher. My GMC is a TRUCK for God’s sake not a Cadillac. If I wanted total ride comfort I’d sell the Monty, the GMC and buy a Caddy
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote