Thread: Cable splitters
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #23
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I have a tailgater with dish service. Tailgater partially worked when connected to living room connection in docking station - by “partially” I mean that I got a picture but could not initiate a scan. The black box (VP211z) sends/recieves signals and commands back and forth but only partial signals were getting thru. I got a few channels but it only recognized 1 out of 3 stats. The scan command would not initiate. The only reason it was able to do that is because I had it set up and scanned with coax thru the window before I tried the docking station connection. Basically it was unwatchable. I had to run direct coax thru window using a white flat coax piece ($11 from camping world). Now it works but DW does not like the black coax dangling from window to tv. Basically if there is a splitter between tailgater and black box the system will not work.

Service tech at my dealer tells me there should be a splitter above and behind the docking station. I plan to test one cable at a time to find the living room cable. I will probably use the park cable connection - not the tailgater - to see which cable connects to the tv. This will avoid the dish system trying to rescan each time it is connected or disconnected during the test. Once I locate the direct link to living room tv I will connect tailgater to that cable and see if it scans and functions correctly. I plan to work on it this weekend if it doesn’t rain. I will let you know how it comes out.
My satellite only recommends 50 ft. cable, I think. Wouldn't work thru the coach cable for satellite. I looked under my slide and it seems like the cable goes from the box up front all the way to the back of the Monty, into the back side of the slide and forward about 10 feet and up the wall in the slide about 4-5 feet. So just inside the trailer the cable is around 30 feet long. I didn't look but assume there is also a splitter like others have posted, that reduces the workable length even farther.
I just put a thru the wall jack right behind the tv and now I can use my 50 ft. cable. Works great.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote