View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lots of great info in this thread. I might add that any of the currently available diesels from the Big Three will do a great job for you. If you prefer gas, the Ford V10, the GM 8.1L V8, or the Dodge V10 (not available on the new ones) can do the job.

I might also add that those of us using the Ford with the TorqShift with Tow/Haul do not see a need for an exhaust brake. I think the Allison in the GM trucks is similar on grade braking. An exhaust brake would give you even better downhill braking but I've had both the gas V10 with the older tranny and this 6.0 Powerstroke with the TorqueShift and this diesel holds speed downhill better than did our gasser, and that's with the same Montana in tow. This is my opinion. Go whichever way makes you more comfortable.

As point of reference, we are towing more weight with our Montana than the GVWR max on the 3670 with a new F250 and are within GCWR and tow ratings. We are over on the truck's GVWR, however. I've also added airbags because I did not get the camper package that adds the extra leaf on the F250 that the F350 has. The airbags bring the truck back to level. It otherwise has a slight squat. Our pinweight is 3300. With a 3/4 ton you may or may not need airbags or overload springs. With a 1 ton it is unlikely you'd need them.

Your thoughts of going with a 1 ton are good. Either of those you mentioned should do a great job for you.

Good luck and congratulations on the new Montana!

I can provide urls to tests if you really care about that. It will show you which is currently king of the hill. But that can change with the next generation of each truck. And the bottom line in all those tests is that all the brands can do the job. Lots of good choices out there.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote