View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Kids are no problem, just the usual things they need, cell phone( if they have them), radio, video games, snacks and more snacks, and the most important...spending money (yours! LOL!).

Regarding the dogs....taking them is like having more kids with you. They need to eat, potty and exercise. Don't get me wrong we travel with two poodles (miniatures).And love to take them.

The longest trip we have taken is from home California to Texas and back.
The dogs did excellent on the trip, but they did ride in the truck with us. Although I have heard of families that will let their dogs ride in the trailer (crated).

As far as day trips....the dogs did stay in the trailer while we were gone. We put "weewee pads" in the kitchen area while we were gone incase the dogs had to use them. At home we don't use these any more, but we did use the pads during the housebreaking stage. (my dogs were 3yrs old and the other one was 10 months. old, but fully housebroken) While we were gone we left on the radio, set the air,turned on one light, and closed all blinds except left one open so they could peek out. We also put out favorite toys, safe chew toys and gave them Kongs (that were frozen ahead of time)
We were never gone more then 6-8 hours (which is what they are used to at home, except we have dog door for potting).

When we returned we had two excited dogs, no mess...not even on a pad,but dogs that had to potty right away, and emptied kongs.

We do try to befriend who is in the camp spot next to us and give them access to our cell phone number. If not maybe leaving a note on your door (folded for privacy) with your cell number in case there is a problem or the dogs get too loud. But be prepared to return if you get a call of barking dogs.

I would like to hear of how others travel with the dogs and what they do if they leave for the day.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote