Thread: WiFi question
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Other than our phone hot spots, I don't know of anything better.

My wife and I both work form home (she's always been "home office" status, and I've been home since the virus started). And since we are both work from home, we've taken advantage of the time and hit the road some and, instead of work from home, (WFH), we've been doing WFC .... (Work from camper).

Now my wife has a company phone with hotspot. So she can work unlimited. We have AT&T and an unlimited plan. Yes, it costs. But we've never been throttled.

The only down side is, as you know from your own experiences, there are spots that simply do not get phone service. After 35 years of camping and starting out with one of those mobile phones as big as a world war 2 walkie-talkie radio powered by a battery in a suitcase, we have found not every spot has service. But, no matter which phone plan and data plan you go with, you'll find that to be true for all of them.

We've even been in campgrounds (state parks) that were within close proximity of a metropolitan area, but because there was a mountain range between us and them, or we were in the valley, there was no reception, or simply no phone towers around. It happens.

We tried the AT&T device that is an Internet Hot Spot only. It worked great on all my computers, but it failed at connecting to my wife's office. For some reason, there was some protocal with her company that did not like the device and now matter what the work around (form both AT&T and her company), the company's system didn't deem it secure enough. And they never figured it out. We ended up getting rid of that, since our phones did exactly the same thing, and we didn't have to pay for yet ANOTHER service plan.

We tried Hughes Net at home (satellite internet) some 13 year ago when we first moved into our current house. We thought this might be a good system for the camper too. After 1 month we got rid of Hughes Net because the latency between send and receive was too long. Playing on-line video games just didn't work. You were killed before you even knew it. Response of slow. And when talking to them, there was no convenient way to set it up for the camper.

Maybe Hughes Net has improved since then, but they aren't cheap. Back then, they were something like $100 a month.

I keep following this subject, hoping someone will come up with a true independent wifi solution that is NOT dependent upon campground's internet service. Because, maybe, only once a year, do we stay in a campground that actually has wifi.

Your best option is your phone hotspot. Beef-up your plan for more data, And if it means getting a different phone that covers different areas, maybe between the two of them you won't have any dead zones.

My wife's company phone will work in some spots where my personal phone will not (different carriers), and visa-versa.

No matter what you do, you'll still eventually hit dead zones. And if you go with a satellite system, then you have to contend with trees blocking the signal.

I think at this point, there really is no true 100% all the time, everywhere system. Just like the choice to select a travel trailer, Motor Home, or Fifth Wheel, there are pluss's and minuses about each one.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote