View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #45
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Lot's of comments about stress on the frame. Where do you get stress on the frame? The slides are not structural components of the frame. The trailer frame does not care if the slides are in, out, or missing.
Now driving with the slides out or maneuvering in a space with them out could be a hazard but probably only to damaging the slide hitting something or someone or blocking the view rearward. Could also cause the slide to be offset in orientation.
If you have any frame flex. And believe me your "I" beams which make up the frame can move in vertical and horizontal direction.
Have you ever seen a flat bed tractor trailer. Generally aluminum which is arched upwards rolling down the road unloaded. This is a design feature to absorb the loaded vs unloaded condition.

So If you retract the slides after hookup. Your frame may be in a different settling point than when you unhitched. (How is that for technical terms)
I need to pull my galley tank handle when I park which is under the LR slide. So Slides are long after landing jacks and leveling. Level, Chocks, unhitch, Stairs, Awning, Picnick table. Sewer, Water, Then slides. Yes DW gets impatient at times. And there have been a few occasions where I have to crawl under to open the galley tank.
I have opened a slide hitched as well as unhitched only stationary though for a short lunch break on the road.