Thread: DEF
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #16
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I've seen several threads on different forums asking the same thing so I'd like to put this out there....

Can anyone give an example where the DIC gave the EXHAUST FLUID QUALITY POOR message and it was because the DEF's shelf life expired?

I'm not talking about the GM's NOX sensor issue in 2011 either.... where that was the message on the DIC and some dealers went as far to say "you didn't buy DEF from GM is the problem" That issue had nothing to do with the quality of the DEF but it was NOX sensors going bad in the first year they introduced SCR.

I just thought I'd throw that out there because IMHO... I don't feel it's something to be concerned about... Especially now as there are more and more SCR equipped diesel trucks out there every year.

Every source I've come across from different manufacturers are consistent in saying stored out of sunlight at room temperature the shelf life is about 2 years... Again... as there are more and more SCR equipped trucks out there I doubt you'll be able to find DEF that's anywhere close to being two years old.

IMO... I don't believe freezing/thawing has any effect on it either... Mine has been frozen/thawed many times over the last 3 winters with no issues.

From a document I have:

A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.

I'm not trying to downgrade the question by any means... It's a valid question.... I just thought I'd throw that out there to hopefully put some minds at ease!

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote