View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Speck56 ..??

Have you been camping very long, is this your first camper?

The reason I'm asking is because if you are relatively new to camping and RV's then there's some things you may not have considered.

However, if you are a seasoned camper and RV owner, then you should have already though your way through this, and installing a television mount on the outside of your camper is something you've completely though through and had experience with already. If not, then here's something to think about.

First, if your camper is parked permanently, then you'll not have this issue. But, if you travel and frequent different campgrounds you'll be experiencing a problem if you have a permanent television mount... and that problem is sun glare.

We use a television outside the camper a lot. We enjoy watching television all hours of the day and night, and during the course of the day, we have to constantly move the television and readjust our seating arrangements to keep the sun from bearing down on us, or just plain old glare on the screen, where the television screen acts like a mirror than a television screen.

The point to be made is, if you travel, you'll find yourself in direct sun, or in overcast tree canopy. You may find yourself on a very unlevel campsite where it's impossible to get a level spot, except 20 or 30 feet away from the camper. You might have wonderful shade in the morning and blazing sun in the afternoon, and then nice shade again in the evening. You may have rain or wind.

To put a mount on your camper really limits and restricts your television usage. You may find yourself putting the television on the mount and then 10 minutes later moving it off the mount to a different location to escape sun glare.

I suppose what I'm trying say is, I'm not telling you "don't" get a permanent mount. Your situation may be completely different than ours, and it may work wonderful for you. So, don't let my "downer" response wipe out your idea.

But, if you are relative new to camping an RVing, I DO suggest that you use an outside television as portable as possible until you get a good feel of exactly where it should be mounted on your camper or if it really would be a bad idea because it just would not be practical at all. Only you can make that call.

We travel with 2 ten foot Quick shades and a 100 foot of coax television cable. We have one chair we use to rest the television on and stretch the 100 foot coax from the television outside connection to the TV. And through the day, we are constantly moving things around. Of course, we never camp at the same campsite twice. We may frequent the same State Park, but the campsites are always different, and each one poses new challenges to over come. Sunlight glare on the television is one that we deal with the most frequent.

I just suggest trying using a portable TV stand for a while. Besides, once you drill holes in your camper to install the mount, once you actually use it or not, you'll still have holes. Good luck!

Just think it through before actually doing it! That's all I'm saying.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote