View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
We all want the convenience of automatic switch over tank regulators and that is what is installed on pretty much every RV these days. If you were drawing propane from both 30# tanks at the same time through one regulator this icing would be far less likely to occur. In cold weather the liquid in a single small tank just cannot turn to gas without icing up the tanks when there is heavy demand. The icing occurs where the liquid expands to gas and that is where it leaves the bottle, thus icing up the regulator.

Many years ago we supplied propane space heaters and 100# bottles to the construction industry, even the 100# bottle would ice up when it reached about 1/2 empty. Feeding the same heater with 2 - 100# bottles solved the problem. I am talking -30 to -40 degrees much colder than one normally encounters when living in their RV.

There are propane tank heat blankets made and sold specifically for this purpose, one would assume they meet federal electrical requirements or they would not be on the market.

I would assume you were also running your propane furnace and perhaps the fridge on propane during this time, that is a large demand on a 30# bottle.

If I was having to live in my Monty in those conditions for any period of time, I would change out the regulator and draw from both my 40# bottles. Or better yet do as BigSkyJimmy and others do and have a large capacity propane tank installed.

If this is something you encounter rarely, then swap bottles, which will give the one time to warm up.

I am certainly no expert on anything, I have many of life's experiences over my 71 years that may or may not be of help, I hope my experience with freezing propane bottles helps out.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote