Thread: RV Water Pump
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
RV Water Pump

Just thought I'd pass on this little piece of wisdom. For several days I've been noticing a puddle beneath the rig right below where the water hose is connected to the rig. It appeared that the connection was leaking. I tried everything trying to eliminate the seepage of water (it wasn't a lot of water). I changed fittings, changed hoses, etc. Finally, I stood and watched what was happening. It took about 15 minutes but I noticed water seeping out the overflow from the on-board fresh water tank. I wondered what caused this to happen. I remembered that when I pulled into this park that my water tank was 2/3 full but now it was full to overflowing.

I disconnected the input to my RV water pump (the hose connecting the pump to the fresh water tank) and noticed water seeping out. It dawned on me: the check valve in the pump was not closing so it allowed water from the park to go through the pump into the tank.

Fortunately, I had another pump which I had available (always carry a spare) which I installed and now there is no leak! I'll stop at Camping World in Tucson next week and pick up another pump head. They sell for about $40 which is a lot cheaper than a new pump.

So, if you ever have these symptoms, check your pump.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote