Thread: Toilet smells
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Exnavydiver.....

I followed some advice from the old RV guy when he gave us our PDI on first rig, that to prevent the sprinkle and tinkle that EVERYONE, girls, boys, women and men should sit down when visiting the throne no matter WHAT they do. The water closet is small in the rig and the materials (paper, vinyl, linoleum) more sensitive to stuff like this and the cleaners to keep it clean and the bowl is shallow, and while as a male it took some mental effort to be comfortable, it solves this problem and makes sense.

Somehow, I don't think this is what the OP is experiencing. Not only do I put deodorizer chemicals into the black tank when stored, it must have a few gallons of water, too (I try and put 3-5 gallons along with the deodorizer/cleaner).

Most people I find that have this problem do not use enough water during the flushing process. They think that as long as the "contents" have left the bowl, then they are done. It is critical that more water is allowed to flush into the black tank. A common thing to do is to flush and count to slowly count to five for "number one" and count to 10 for "number two". Without enough water, the "contents" cannot dissolve and drain properly. Over time if you don't use enough water this effluent will solidify and stick around. Besides the deodorizer make sure the chemicals have something to keep the "contents" dissolved and diluted!

If you have not been doing this it might take some effort to really get that black tank cleaned out other than paying a bunch of money to have someone else do it. I think I'll save that topic for others who have had to do this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote