View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
OE LP Regulators Pose Danger??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
The specs definitely say 100 psig inlet pressure for that Fairview. If I was running at 50% greater than design pressure I would be whining too.

I would replace it with the Marshall 250 psig. That's what I did years ago.

I meant to address your comment above in the previous post. Everything I see says the Fairview high pressure regulator for the off side LP tank and the normal regulator on the other tank are rated for 100psi. The LP tank puts out almost 150psi at approx. 70 degrees and just gets higher as temps increase (where we stay generally). To me that seems dangerous and a possible disaster in the making.

I attribute all the noises from the regulators (I've now identified either will do it depending on the tank being used) to the pressure being higher than the regulator was designed for. I suspect this overpressure situation will eventually cause the regulators to leak or worse.

I may be missing something, and I'm not an expert, but nothing in any documentation I've found tells me differently. Common sense seems to say that Keystone would not intentionally put undersized regulators on new trailers knowingly....but, they did it with tires for years.

My thought would be if you have purchased a new trailer that you look at those regulators. If they are those indicated I would insist they be replaced under warranty. Mine is under warranty but I'm in it in FL and not going to take it in. They don't cost that much and they're easy to change. I'd rather do that than wake up to a who knows what situation. Just a heads up to be aware of.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote