View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
LP Tank Regulators/Problems

I'm starting this thread as an effort to educate myself as well as others.

Over the years I've had various problems with LP regulators and hoses with replacing them curing the problem. That included one that just made "noise" all the time. Now to this trailer;

This is our first 5th wheel and it has the opposing LP tanks on each side. One side has the regular regulator and the far side has a high pressure regulator that reduces tank pressure down to 30 lbs. before going into the standard regulator. From day one these have always "sang"/"whined"/"whistled" when propane was flowing to an appliance - EXTREMELY annoying - to the point it keeps me awake.

Decided to replace them both with Marshall Excelsior units (OE is Fairview) but in checking into it I came across something that makes me wonder.....

If my reading is correct the LP tanks will put out 145 lbs. pressure (at 70 degrees) and it increases with the ambient temperature up to maybe 200 psi. Digging into the Fairview regulators their max inlet pressure is 110 psi!! That seems problematic to me to say the least. I'm wondering if the discrepancy of the existing inlet pressure vs the max pressure the regulator will handle is what's causing the noises. I figure so. The Marshall units have a max inlet pressure of 250 so that should eliminate that concern.

Just throwing that out there for pondering or any input from those that have experienced it. Seems dangerous to me that OE won't even handle normal pressures it's supposed to handle....but then again, there's probably a disclaimer somewhere in all the paperwork that states an LP tank should never be exposed to outside temps over 50 degrees or what I'm experiencing might occur.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote