View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, the question might not be the best one for an RV related forum, but the question itself is a good question, especially once you've read this article:

Click here

Actually, in the USA we do have such a practice, but it's really not so obvious and it's really not talked about, because it's truly one gigantic cover up. I know, I lived through this with my mother.

My mother ended up with dementia and spend the last year and 2 months of her life in a nursing home. She died at the age of 95 (February 2019).

My mother gave me power of attorney years ago over her health and over her finances. She also had a living will. When my mother was still in her somewhat cognizant mind the nursing home wanted me to sign a "DNR" for my mother, since she already had one, their wanted a more recent version. I talked this over with my mother and she agreed this is what she wanted. Little did "I" realize what this actually meant. Basically, it was an order for keeping her comfortable only. And little did I realize it went much, much farther than Do Not Resuscitate. What it actually meant was ... if she can't do it her self, no one else will either.

Things were OK while she still had some mental capacity. But when her speech returned back to her native German, and even that was so mumbled you couldn't make out anything, and then she got to the point where she couldn't even turn over herself, well ... the "Keep in Comfort" part of the contract kicked in.

Little did I realize what was going on. They persuaded me to sign her up for hospice care. I didn't understand what that meant either, but after lots of persuasion and her health declining more and more, and my wife and I were the only two taking care of here, we needed much relief. I agreed to Hospice care (still in the nursing home). Things shifted immediately. Literally, I had no more say in anything, and THEY started the morphine.

One of the nurses was a life-long friend and she pulled me aside one day. She told me (I still did not understand) that I should do everything I could to fight the morphine and get it stopped. She explained morphine slows breathing down, until people simply die of no breath left. (I still did not understand it all).

I argued with Hospice till I turned blue. But they kept "upping" the morphine and my mother was truly comatose, and in-and-out of wake up moments and groaning, trying to get words out. I than began to see what was going on. They continued to pump her full of morphine, UNDER THE GUISE OF "COMFORT CARE", until she didn't have enough strength, for lack of food, to even swallow. I know, the last thing that happens with dementia victims is the fact they even forget how to swallow. He body, 250 pounds and 5 feet 4 inches in her most robust moment, was now only 85 pounds!

I was with her when she took her last breath as the morphine euthanized her. And they do this under the guise of "comfort care."

I had to live through this, and it was horribly hard. But through it all, and even now, I have to remember, THIS IS WHAT MY MOTHER WANTED. She died with dignity and the way she wanted.

So yes, we do have the same process in the USA. It's just disguised real well and not so apparent.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote