View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Sorry if my earlier post was incomplete--I was both drained and upset when we put out that post as we went down the highway.

The tire lost it's tread, but I got the rig stopped before the steel belts went, so that I did not lose any air pressure. So it sounds like the tire pressure monitor system would not have alerted me. I was/am using the Accu-pressure caps on the tires, and the cap was showing green (80 psi) both in the morning when we started off and after the tire shreaded--indeed, I had Jo take a good picture of the shreaded tire with the pressure cap still showing green just in case anyone was going to claim that the tire went because the pressure was low. I had probably driven about 100 miles when the tire went. I was traveling in the 55-65 mph range most of the time as I was following several RVs in front of me.

Interestingly, the tire that shreaded was on the front axle and had been showing good tread prior to the accident, unlike the tires on the rear axle that were showing some uneven tread wear. So of the four Mission tires I have been driving on, two show uneven wear, and the third just shreaded. So only one out of four is still holding up--for now.

Don't hear anyone saying that Keystone is likely to step up and deal with the damage to my rig. Ouch. Can't imagine Tireco stepping up and paying for anything other than the tires, at most. Also wonder if I'm going to have to get replacement parts (sheet metal siding and supports) from Keystone or whether someone can readily fabricate replacements. If it has to come from Keystone, I might be waiting a long time to see those parts.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote