View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Which model of Hydrastar did you use. I did not find an application chart on their website.
Did you use 1000, 1200, 1600 psi?
The Hydrastar HBA-V or the Hydrastar XL?
And also where did you mount it?
Do the fluid lines come from Hydrastar or etrailer? Are they metal or the newer flexible lines?

Buy everything from Etrailer if you don`t know what to get call them they are VERY helpful. I used and Kodiak recommends the 1600 psi unit. I also used the flexible brake lines for ease of installation they are rated for 1600 lbs too. Hydrastar recommends metal brake lines of a certain diameter but Etrailer says whooy about that. I would get the 24` line kit of your liking and buy a short 18 inch to 2` whip and a coupling with a 90 degree bend on one end of the brake line, it makes it a lot easier to bring the line up from underneath and connect to the unit. You can see that in the picture. I mounted mine behind my 6volt battery box in the front storage compartment at the wire loom junction for most of the trailer systems. You will need to make wire connections on the Hydrostart and all the wires you need to connect to are right there, no extending wires necessary, easy.
It's to each his own on using the Kodiak flex lines.

I just don't much care for a bunch of extra line lengths that are rolled up and then strapped underneath somewhere as I had seen on several 5ers before I made my leap. If I could find a braided stainless set of custom length flex lines, would have considered them as they will not balloon under pressure after a few years. 3/16: lines are all that are needed, not the 1/4" suggested by Hydrastar

As far as wiring, two of my wires (breakaway and brake controller) are all snaked under the front overhang to the truck connector junction box, one is to the the battery main plus terminal and the last is to the chassis ground. I do not have an accessible main terminal box nor did Keystone leave a bunch of dangling wiring in the front battery compartment
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote