View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I'll reiterate for this discussion...
Goosenecks are usually just fine unless you anticipate a warranty issue, why else would so many companies make and sell them and so many Fivers have them?

Interestingly, a new Gooseneck PINBOX has recently been developed and tested by Lippert per press release:

"Lippert Named to Supply New Reese ‘Goose Box’
Print August 16, 2011 by RV Business
Lippert Components Inc., a subsidiary of Drew Industries Inc. and a leading supplier of components for the RV industry, announced today (Aug. 16) that it has been designated the exclusive supplier of Cequent Performance Products’ innovative new patent pending Reese “Goose Box” adaptor for gooseneck hitches.

“The ‘Goose Box’ is a great solution for fifth-wheel RV users who prefer to use gooseneck hitches,” Jason Lippert, CEO of Goshen Ind.-based Lippert Components, said in a press release. “We are very pleased with the results of the thorough testing of the Goose Box, which demonstrates that it is compatible with our RV frame. As a result, the proper installation of a Goose Box pin box will be acceptable under our RV frame warranty.”

The company said that the airbag technology used in the “Goose Box” reduces the stress transferred to the RV frame. The combination of the airbag, dual shocks and rubber bumpers used in the “Goose Box” provides multi-directional shock absorption for a smoother driving experience that RV enthusiasts will greatly appreciate."

- Even MOR-RYDE now has a Goosneck adapter for their sliding Pinbox

- Many companies sell Gooseneck Adapters, Trailer Life reviewed them positively in 2009.

- Rarely have I been in a campground without several or more Fivers with Gooseneck adapters. Most of which are plain, non-"Flexible" pipes...

- I've towed my Montana with the Star Performance Hitch Gooseneck Adapter for over 4 years which includes a built-in Glider motion that probably has about the same stress relief benefit as the Lippert development, so what difference would a purpose built Pinbox versus a solid adapter attachment make? Also, I've gotten my Montana stuck twice and its held up for those extraction exertions.

And based on the actual Frame FAILURE reports on this and other forums, its the randomly (?) bad frame fault - regardless of how its hooked up as almost all reported failures are with standard Fiver Hitches.

So if you want to keep your truckbed easily free of an obtrusive hitch, a rotating/turnover ball provides that benefit. Also when hooking up you raise/lower the trailer gently on and off the ball - no ramming the pin or need to chock trailer wheels and "impossible" to drop on your pickup bed as its either on the ball or not. It does take longer since the jacks are so slow and hooking up the safety chains requires fitness for crawling into the bed. Though I don't always use the chains on short trips a how would the trailer come off the locked ball when it weighs down on the truck so much...

Just another point of view based on my personal experience(s) and interest in this issue.

RV Refrigerators are probably a greater risk!
Or towing behind the trailer, or adding....
Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chas
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT DRW SWD Extended Cab LB
2005 Montana Big Sky 3670
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote