Thread: Gestapo?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #32
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Vickie, if all readers can see is THIS thread, then we're really not certain what the point IS without moderator comment on the earlier thread!

The problem is that, without input by the moderators, we really DON'T know exactly why the thread was closed. And I for one resent the implication from (mostly) older members that we are invited to part company with the forum if we don't agree on the way it is being operated. We are all RVers with a common interest that holds us together, one which do so with a pretty strong bond; other than that, we are all different people with different views on many subjects. There should be room for disagreement here. In my lurking days here I've seen a good degree of intolerance on the part of admins about different things. One in particular was a post by an established member who suggested the MOC logo-d merchandise could be updated. That post was shut down very rudely (my opinion) by an admin. I thought that could have been handled much more politely.

In this case, there was no input from forum administration as to why the thread was closed. The OP claims no one contacted him about it, and I think that should ALWAYS happen. If admins moderate without explanation, then we as members are not really sure what is expected of us. I know (and I think we all do) that name-calling and nastiness are not allowed. And I think the more astute of us have an opinion of why the thread was closed, but we do NOT know what happened unless notified by the moderator(s) that closed the thread.

After a while, repeated statements that "the admins are doing a great job here and if you don't like it go start your own forum" get pretty tiresome. For the most part I think this forum is well-moderated. But how much of that is based on the good manners almost universally exhibited by the members in less controversial posts?
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote