View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1muscle351 View Post
... J wrap was lol. Looks to be it!

Yes, this is exactly what happened to mine, only we were about 250 miles from home when I found it. I have no clue how far we drove with the "J-wrap" dangling under the camper. But when I found it, I was shocked.

I immediately went into seize and control mode and searched out the closest hardware store and purchased the largest washers they had. I had to use multiple sizes to get the center hole smaller and smaller so the original screws that went into the frame would finally catch on something.

The J-wrap (under the trailer) was completely pulled through the screws. There was about 1/4 of an inch from the edge of the hole to the edge of the aluminum J-wrap that attached to the frame. Why in the world didn't Keystone make that wrap just 1 inch wider so the holes wouldn't tear out being so close to the edge, is anyone's guess. Although the trailer was still well in it's original 1 year warranty, I wasn't about ready to tow it one foot with all that dangling under there. So, that local hardware store fixed me up.

I also added about 3 tubes of Liquid Nails between the aluminum J-wrap where it overlaps the Colorplast and were both attach to the frame. I figure, if the Liquid Nails adheres to the actual frame of the trailer, the Liquid Nails would never give way. I've used Liquid Nails for many, many applications like this outside, exposed to weather, and it's never failed.

But meanwhile, I also reattached the screws and the really big washers. And I pray I never have to remove that Colorplast under belly, because it will have to be destroyed to break away from the Liquid Nails now.

But at the time, desperate times called for desperate measures. I was really mad at this shoddy work, and away from home, and no way to move the camper without possible greater damage.

The fixed worked, it's been 2 years now, all kinds of weather and it's still holding strong.

Unfortunately, this same thing happened on the front of the trailer too. And the fix was the same. I found that when I did my "All screwed up" examination.

Anyway, here's the fix:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote