View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
[/quote]
Out of curiosity...is this an opinion or you have factual data for this?
[/quote]

No, I don't have factual data. It's simply my opinion based on what I've heard and read. I do however think that one of the problems with buying new never mounted tires with older manufacture dates are that the buyer has no idea as to whether the tires have been properly stored or have sat in a tire dealers yard in the Arizona sun for a while.

Here's some information on the matter that is I found interesting ...

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers. Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year. The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire."

So it appears that most of the "facts" floating around may just be opinions just like mine.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote