View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have been in Information Technology for a long time now. I first started working with computers in 1983 when in the Army and knew absolutely nothing about them. I grew with word processing and spreadsheet applications and then later Windows and finally the advancement of the Internet.

I worked for 3 different companies and each step was a move upward as I increased my knowledge and experience in the Information Technology field. I navigated from simple word processing to running printers to finally software development.

I've been 100% self taught, except for an occasional class one of the companies sponsored for me to attend. Which have been very few.

I've now worked for the 4th company for 20 years now. As technology advanced over the last 20 years, so has my experience, and the needs of the company. Desktop computers were eventually replaced with Laptops, and then Laptops were set up to work from home over the internet. They started letting us work form home more and more, and it was a good thing they did, because Covid eventually shut the doors and everyone was told to work from home indefinitely now.

A similar thing happened to my wife also, as she in in IT also. Doors shut, told not come back back in the building.

You know where that led us? Right! Have trailer will travel. Our son and his 7 year old son are living in our house taking care of it, and .... you guessed it, we are on the road.

Salary? It could be better! Couldn't it always? But it doesn't matter if we are in the building or on the moon, as long as we log in every day, do our job, and take care of these company issued laptops, we are good to go. Yes, I'm paid a good salary, but with 30 years of Information Technology background, I suppose I'm paid fair.

Anyway, that's how my wife and I do it. We have planned this year, taking off for a month at a time, returning home for a few days to recoup, and then hitting the road again for another month. As long as our companies do not recall us back into the office, we're taking advantage of this Covid thing for all it's worth.

We are currently in Cullman, Alabama. And yes, this campground has a paid streaming internet service as well as a free-bee service that comes with the campsite. So far, we've not had any serious internet issues that's prevented us from working every day.

On a scale of 100, I give the wifi at this campground a 95. Sometimes it's a bit slow. But we are not internet gamers either. Streaming videos works just fine.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote