View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #25
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
An easy and accurate way to measure your trailer is to park under an awning (with a flat and level parking surface) that when you are on top of your trailer you can reach the roof. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
That height was hitched. I placed a self leveling laser on top of the front A/C and shot to an adjacent wall then measured to the ground. I have a a RV Carport the pad is perfectly level. My carport has a 4' drop wall that I used to aim the laser to and measure from.

Those are all nice solutions, when you have the wall to measure against. Our 5er sits in a shed but the truck is outside the shed when hooking up, and it's on a different plane, so there's no way for me to know what the "actual" hooked height is.

Do places like truck stops have height gauges that you could go under that would give you the overall height? Even if I had to pay, this would be good to know.

The job is a lot harder to accomplish when the roof is curved. One way that I could do it would be to put the laser level (I have one of those) on the top of the A/C, and then measure from that point to the top of the edge of the camper, where it's rounded. Then, when hooked up on flat ground, measure from that point to the ground and add the two dimensions. While that would "work", it wouldn't be totally exact, and there would be room for error in there.

We have a new truck, and I KNOW that we are going to be higher than we were with our old truck, so I need to know what the overall height is...