Thread: Gun Hobby
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #33
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Since we are talking about accurate rifles let me tell you something all bench rest shooters know. Most scpoes after they have been shot some will go BAD. You will be shooting and a bullet wont go where it should have. It will be out of the group 1\4, 3\8 inch. Then the next one will go in the same hole or will go back in the original group. This will happen 2 or 3 times. If you haven't missed a condition change, your scope has just went BAD. It shot good one relay, then the next one the scope went bad. You change scopes, the rifle goes back to shooting again so you send the scope back to Leupold. This is why all serious bench rest shooters have at least 2 extra scopes with them, that have just came back from Leupold. They will buy a new scope take it out of the box unwrap put it back in the box and send it Leupold to have it checked out. These bench rest rifles only move about 1 inch when shot free recoil, wonder how many scopes are good on the big mags. I would guess almost none. The Nightforce and other expensive scopes, I would think do better but the Leupold and less expensive scopes, I wouldn't bet they still are good.
Lynwood
I have to date never experienced this. I've been shooting for years. Don't get me wrong i have had scopes i didn't like, but never inaccurate scopes. I've had shots leave the group but only after running a rod through the bore. I have used Leupold scopes for years without issue. I do know you can spend a lot more money on a scope for things like resolution , clarity, range compensation etc. I'll have to talk to my buddy who i a competition bench rest shooter and get his take.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote