View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Growing Older ... have a HEAVY question

While reading Carol’s adventure with the tire blowout and Good Sam, the following question popped into my mind. For the guys that have most always done their own maintenance and repair work including tire changes … how do you mentally adjust when you just physically can’t do it anymore? How do you deal with feeling incapable of taking care of your own equipment? I’m 60, although it’s a little tough getting the knees and shoulders to “wake up” like they used to … I just “deal with it”. I’ve been fortunate to always be mechanically inclined. If a water pump goes out … I replace it. If a head gasket pops, I go through what needs to be done and fix it. If a tire fails even on a busy highway, I just pull the emergency flashers, lower the spare, get out the jack, spare on … bad tire in back of truck, 20 minutes later I’m headed down the road. How do you mentally cope when you just can’t “deal with it” any longer? If I get to that point in life … it will be very troubling for me. Most any dealings I've had with today's service sector is beyond pitiful ... this I also dread.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote