View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 07:31 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Question concerning 30 service. ...
I have read on different forums that folks will plug in the 30-50 amp dog bone adapter from a 30 amp electric service, then plug in their 50 amp EMS. (some portable, some hard-wired) and they say it works just fine.

In theory, yes, the 50 amp EMS would protect the camper plugged into a 30 amp supply. I've never tried it to see what happens and no clue what actually happens if there is a power shift of some sort. Considering I already had the 30 amp Hughes, to me, it just makes more logical sense to use the 30 amp protector when hooked up to a 30 amp service, since the most power I'll ever get out of that power supply is 30 amps anyway.

But to answer your question? I really do not know. I've never tried it. I do know that my Progressive portable EMS does not work when I plug it into my two generators run in parallel for 50 amp. There's no ground. The EMS will not pass power to the trailer. And I'm not electrically proficient enough to fiddle with the generators to fake out the ground. But, my generators already have their own built in power management system, so really do not need to use the EMS when running the generators.

What you need to do, after you receive your EMS, Hughes, protector, experiment with it when you get a chance and figure out what it's limitations are (if it has any). Take a few minutes when you are at a campground that has 30 and 50 amp service and switch everything back and forth. The most that will happen is, the "protector" will simply shut down and not pass power to the trailer. Then you'll know what to expect if you are ever caught in a campground with limited service (or plugged into someone's house).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote