View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #1
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Camping Timeshare

Camping Timeshare. The new money maker. I'm sure you all know how difficult it is to get camp spots and I'm sure that many of you are familiar with Thousand Trails. For those of you that aren't

https://thousandtrails.com/

What a scam! We received a years membership with the purchase of our Monty. We got 14 free nights for any west coast campground in the network. We also got a free weekend at a camp spot on the delta. We booked the free weekend only to find out that we had to attend a 1 hour presentation. Well it wasn't exactly an hour because I got up and left after 20 minuets. I couldn't believe that I was sitting in a timeshare presentation for camping! I don't remember all of the details but roughly 7K buy in plus annual fees. It didn't save us any money. It was more like extortion! If you want to camp here pay us!

We have a couple really nice RV camping sites on the American river in Coloma which is about 20 minuets from us. One of them we've never been to but because of the price of fuel 20 minuets is very appealing. When I tried to get a spot of course they were full. I called Thousand Trails customer support and I was told that there was nothing they could do. They did give us 5 days in the middle of the week which we took. I commuted to work that week. We talked to the camp host who said that TT's has ruined camping for the long time regulars because they can't get in. I tried to get a spot for the 4th weekend but it was sold out. I continued to check as someone may have canceled. Yesterday I logged into my TT's account and checked again and nothing was available. Then I thought to check without logging in and low and behold there were spots available for only $103 per night! Holy crap $103....well I took it because it would cost me $300 in fuel to get to the coast and back. To my point steer clear of camping timeshares (Thousand Trails) and tell your friends. Camping shouldn't be this difficult!