View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 09:07 PM   #50
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
My experience is with the durability of materials used. All new trucks show well on the showroom floor. Initial quality of say a year or less isn't bad for all three. I tend to keep my vehicles for several years. As such I find paint and plastics on Rams to be inferior to others. I'm no expert on the molecular makeup of these materials but they do not hold up to time like other brands I've owned. The plastics scratch easily and fade quickly. The paint requires more effort to keep pristine. And the electronics are problematic both on the Ram and Jeep. The powertrain however is top notch. That is, the components that are sub contracted.

With that I think for a tow vehicle the Ram has the edge for the lowest maintenance cost and good resale value. If I didn't tow I would prefer a Jimmy.
Wow, sorry to hear you've had issues like fading and scratched plastics; I've not had those issues. Maybe you do keep yours longer, I keep thinking I will keep longer then get tempted to upgrade about every 3 or 4 years.
As to paint, I cannot comment on the other models in recent years, but will say this... on my 2013 I opted for the dealer paint protection and on the 2016 I decided to save the money. The 2016 paint was much more work to maintain than the protected 2013 paint, so I will get the dealer paint protection again this time.
And, while I certainly have heard of electronics issues and did have a few minor ones on the 2013, fortunately the 2016 has had no issues at all with the electronics.
Bizarre how much our experience has differed. Thanks for sharing,

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote