View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
There is a considerable difference in what one should do if you are storing your unit as opposed to living in it in cold weather.

My procedure is to drain the hot water tank, put the switch in the winterize position and pump water through every tap in the system, including the outside shower and low point drains, this will also put some anti-freeze into the traps and tanks, it is important to have anti-freeze in the traps or they will freeze and break since you cannot take that water out.

The pump will be winterized during the process and all lines will be filled with the exception of the black water flush and the fresh water fill from the convenience center. I have never worried about the black water flush since it is at a high point and water either drains into the tank or back out the fill fitting, there should be no water in that line unless there is a low point in it's plumbing.

I do not put anti-freeze in the fresh water tank as it will leave a taste which, well is "distasteful". I open the tank drain and leave it open during the time it is stored.

My black water tank already has deodorant in it because I do that every time I empty it as well as adding some water and a tank conditioner.

The anti-freeze I use is rated at -50C, so after all lines have been pumped full, I pour anti-freeze down each sink sufficient to fill the traps and some additional to prevent what water remains in the tanks and the valve from freezing.

While it is nice to have the colored lines to indicate hot or cold, I found on my previous SOB the clear lines gave me a visual way of inspecting each line from the pump.

The amount of anti-freeze you require will depend on how cold you expect the weather to be, we seldom experience temperatures below 0 degrees F and I use just over 2 gal to winterize my 3402RL, more might be required to make sure the residual water in any tanks has a strong enough mix to prevent freezing at colder temperatures.

I have another month before I need to worry about winterizing, it is inexpensive insurance against freezing.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote