Thread: VPN Software
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I'm not aware of any public VPN endpoints to connect to nor have I've had a need to investigate hosted VPN solutions. I seriously doubt anybody in the park will have the technical skill to perform a man in the middle attack to defeat SSL which is really only possible if certain conditions exist. Having said that if you truly want/need a VPN solution rather than relying on SSL between you and the remote site (or if SSL isn't available) your best bet would probably be to "own" a virtual machine on Azure or Amazon AWS and roll your own by using available software or by creating a SSH tunnel. I've done this (SSH Tunnels) to create encrypted proxies to spoof my location and improve performance on various occasions. Don't ask why, in 20+ years in IT I've done some really odd things over the years.

If you find a hosted VPN solution I'd be concerned with their security and your data security. All your data will traverse their servers and there's far greater probability that they have the staff with the technical skills to intercept your data than those folks in the park.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote