View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Without going into way too much detail. Your lithium batteries should be controlled by a battery management system or BMS. The BMS determines when the batteries can charge and discharge based upon battery manufacturer characteristic and charge curves. Ideally your solar charger should be able to controlled by your BMS either directly via a communications bus or via relay logic. So while I am rolling down the road my cells can theorectically be charging however if my BMS determines that charging is not needed it can disconnect the PV array thereby preventing overcharging of the cells. The BMS is the brains to your lithium system. Some folks choose to go without a BMS and utilize a process known as bottom balancing. A major drawback of bottom balancing is the lack of cell balancing. Some of the recent entries into the lithium battery like Battleborn have a BMS built into the battery footprint. Others like Victron have a separate BMS that is wired into the batteries externally.

Bottom line overcharging or overdischarging WILL kill your lithium investment quickly. You need a way to control when and how the batteries are charged and dischaged this includes all charging sources (solar & TV alternators) and all loads (TV battery when connected to trailer and ignition off).
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote