View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Our first year longtiming, we stayed at RV parks, some were nicer than others. We wanted to travel and not stay put in one place. As you know, this can be very expensive. My hubby convinced me that we needed solar panels, so we could explore out west and live off the grid. Last year we managed very nicely. Lots of beautiful places in AZ, UT, CA, & NV managed by the Bureau of Land Mgt. We were able to go to some exciting places last year for very little money. We don't think of it as being cheap, as to us it is an adventure. The very best campgrounds are free and there are no check in or check out times. We also stay in National Park Campgrounds for a fraction of the normal cost. While on the road, headed for a destination, we often use Passport America, to get the best prices off the highway for an overnight. These are ways we have made RVing affordable for us. It may not be for everyone, but we really love it! We actually save money by going to the warmer climate in the winter. Cost a lot to heat your home in upstate NY. With the cost of diesel, we found it necessary to do something. We do not wish to give up our stick home, so this enables us to afford to maintain it. I think you just have to figure what works for you. For us, traveling and not staying put in one place is most desirable for us. So far, we are loving the adventure of it all!!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote