View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine does not have the gap between duct and outlet but... I did find that the direction of airflow in the duct does have some influence on airflow out of the new covers. More air would exit in the direction of airflow and less in the other directions. It was not bad but I felt it would be better if the flow were evenly distributed.

So, I took a hint from Carol and Al's posts and re-inserted the baffle, or mounting ring if you will. This ring is the one the screws go through on the original vents. As noted above the holes do not exactly line up but I was able to use them anyhow, as noted below.

First, on the new vent covers, screw the flow adjustment disk all the way down. Then on the backside, push those two tabs together and pull this disk out completely. This makes it easier to do the following.

Place the new vent (without the disk) cover over the old baffle/ring and line up the holes as best you can. While holding this assembly in your hand go ahead and put screws though all the holes. You'll have them on a slight angle but it works. Now, put it all up in the hole. I aligned mine so I'd be using new holes at about 90 degrees to the old holes. Using an electric screwdriver, it punches right through, no problem. Insert the disk and adjust to comfort.

That baffle/ring directs the airflow pretty much straight down where it hit the disk and flows out pretty evenly all the way around. At least it seems to work that way on ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote