View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
It sure is hard. I'm going through the same thing, and keep walking out of the room and shutting the door. "I'll get to it tomorrow" is turning into my favorite mantra. But, since my lease is up in June, tomorrow is getting closer and closer!!

I was cleaning out the rolltop desk, and came to a bunch of cards. Inside one of them, I found the eulogy I wrote for my mom's funeral. Wow, talk about bringing back some memories...an entire lifetime of them. It made it harder, because of course I spoke of my brother in the eulogy also, more memories to flash through. My brother passed away on 9-11-91 (40), and my mom followed exactly 15 months to the day later on 12-11-92(59). So, it's rare that I think of one without the other following close behind.

I keep hitting road blocks due to things I need to donate, and I'm not sure where to take them. After my two level fusion last year, I had to use a shower seat, portable potty chair etc. These things are brand new, and I would like to donate them to someone who could really use them. Where do I go?? I thought about a nursing home or something. But who's to say that once I drop these things off, someone who works there won't turn around and sell them instead of give them to someone who needs it?

I have hundreds of books. They used to be so important to me. I used to read 1-2 novels every week. I started out selling them on eBay. But, when you only sell about 7-8 of the 30 posted, you're spending money, not making it. I've searched online to try and find somewhere to sell them, to no avail. Tried the phone book, no luck there either. My only other option is to just put them in storage with my furniture, or give them away to a library or something. Any idea's about this?

Whats amazing is that much of this stuff was so important to me. Yet, when I went on my 25 day vacation a few weeks ago, other than my tools, there was nothing I thought to myself,"man, I sure wish I had that with me". The hardest things to sell will be my guitars...:-( I'll keep two or three of them, but the other's should be sold so that they can be played the way they're supposed to be. Before my injury, music was one of the most important things in the world to me, it was a major part of who I am. Now, well I guess I'm just a little lost, or just headed in another direction. But, I digress...I agree, trying to downsize your lifetime of things is very difficult to do. I keep telling myself just that...they're only things. And I tell myself how much better I'm going to feel when I'm not bogged down with so much STUFF.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote