Thread: New U-Bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
New U-Bolts

At the 2010 national rally we discovered that Dexter/Montana have changed the U-Bolts on new models to ones that have a flat where they contact the axle. This is a rally nice improvement as it reduces the tendency of the (former) round cross section ones to loosen over time as they wear.

Well I ordered a new set of these things as part of my plan to upgrade my suspension to the latest and greatest. Unfortunately I've run smack into the wacky world of RV supply chain.

I talked to a very nice customer service rep who was unsure of the proper part number for my rig so I was transferred to engineering. There I talked to a very nice engineer who took my axle part #s, rig type (big sky), and axle rating (7000 lbs.). He provided me with the proper part no. and I was returned to customer service ready to complete my order. I asked for eight U-bolts, provided the part no. and all was cool.

Until my parts came in.

Apparently the rep misunderstood my order, probably on the assumption that my rig was a Big Sky Unicycle. I got one u-bolt! No problem. I just called the nice customer service rep. She had no explanation for the foul up but agreed to send out 7 more of the u-bolts. Same part number and no charge. Sweet!

I got the seven bolts and today was the day to do the deed so I replaced the first bolt. Everything went nicely. Then I opened the bag of seven and replaced the next one. Not so fast Skippy. These new ones are an inch too short.

On the phone again with the customer rep I learned that I was given the wrong part number. Apparently the bolt that was sent for my unicycle was the wrong one. Well it was the right one but had the wrong number, unlike my new ones which are the wrong ones with the right number. Sighhhhhhhhh.

Now she wants the right, wrong ones back and she wants to credit my account when they come back. The problem with this is that when she got all embarrassed about sending the wrong quantity she said she'd ship the 7 out and not charge me for them. Now I'm getting a credit for the right, wrong ones that I wasn't charged for.

If you're not confused by now, you're not really trying very hard.

Anyway, just thought you all might want the new U-bolts and wanted to make sure you allow yourself two to three weeks to get the parts. And, if you'd like my old ones they're for sale. I'm selling them in sets of two. That way if you want to upgrade your unicycle you'll have a spare and if you're putting them on a bicycle, just right. You can't have them for your rig because I don't recommend them for fifth wheels.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote