View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 02:40 AM   #1
Tail Lights
Established Member

M.O.C. #6239
Help with my hitch please

I have a Reese 30051 16k hitch with slider in my short bed 2005 2500 Dodge Ram. I have been using it without issues for 8 years.

Yesterday, I started loaded the hitch into my truck and the rear driver's side pull pin that secures the hitch to the bed rails would not slip through.

After an hour of manipulating the hitch with no success, I called Reese tech support. They said its unlikely the bedrail has bent. Also check for excess weld material on the bottom of the hitch. Finally take the top of the hitch off to reduce the weight and see if the was just a kink that is preventing the hitch from laying flat for installation.

I tried all the above with no success. I also disassembled the hitch top to bottom and side to side so I just have a single piece on the driver's side to set on the bedrails and attach.

Looking through the hole in the bedrail with the hitch setting on top, it seems the pull pin is getting stuck on at the top. The pull pin slides easily through each piece separately but gets stuck when they are paired for install.

All the other pull pins slip right in as normal.

Anyone ever had an issue like this? Any suggestions on what I should try next?

I'm thinking my next step is to take it to Camping world where it was originally installed 8 years ago and have them fix it. I suspect it would require new bedrail and bolts (not a bad idea anyway - for the bolts at least)

Thanks very much in advance
Tail Lights is offline   Reply With Quote